Phelps CountySheriff's Department
Special Use Permit for ATV or
A special use permit for the operation of an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or utility task vehicle (UTV) to be used on county roads as follows:
- ATV and/or UTV is to be used on UNPAVED ROADS ONLY
- At least sixteen (16) years of age AND have a valid Missouri driver’s license
- Will not exceed speeds of thirty (30) miles per hour
- If under eighteen (18) years of age, will wear a securely fasten safety helmet and will not carry any passengers.
- The ATV shall be equipped as follows:
- A lighted headlamp and tail lamp, which shall be in operating during use
- An equilateral triangular emblem mounted on the rear of the vehicle at least two feet above the roadway. The emblem shall be constructed of substantial material with fluorescent yellow-orange finish and a reflective red border at least on in width. Each side of the emblem shall measure at least ten inches.
- A bicycle safety flag, which extends not less than seven (7) feet above the ground, attached to the rear of the vehicle.
- A braking system maintained in good operating condition.
- An adequate muffler system in good working condition and a United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester.
- Will not operate the ATV in a careless manner so as to endanger the person or property of another or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.
- Will adhere the permit to the ATV/UTV in a place that is visible.
Understand that the Commission and/or Sheriff of Phelps County may refuse the permit for safety reasons or if it is determined that the specified requirements have not been met. Understand that any violations of these conditions or vehicular statutes of the State of Missouri will cause revocation of this permit. Violation of the above is a class c misdemeanor.